Sunday, January 26, 2014

Mexican Brown Rice

3-3/4 cups chicken stock (I make my own)
2 cups brown rice
1 can diced tomatoes (or equivalent chopped fresh ones)
As many diced chili peppers as you like (I used 1 teeny tiny chopped serrano pepper) Got one minor grumble.
1 onion - diced
1/2  green pepper - diced (or more - whatever works for you)
Dash of olive oil

Spices (I don't measure these - I just throw things together til they look good.  It's an art. Really.)
Spoon of chopped garlic (to taste.  I don't like using garlic powder)
Oregano
Cumin

Pour a dab of olive oil in a pan.  When heated, add the onion and green pepper and let those babies dance til they're softened.  Add the chopped garlic near the end because garlic cooks really quickly (translated = it burns and tastes awful).  Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, hot pepper,and rice to the pan.  Shaky shaky the oregano and cumin into the mix. Stir.  Cover the pan and let it do it's thing - about 45 minutes.

Right before serving, I would add some chopped, fresh cilantro but I always forget.

**You could easily make this a vegetarian dish by substituting vegetable broth or plain water for the chicken stock.  Near as I can tell this dish is also gluten-free**

No comments:

Post a Comment