Sunday, February 9, 2014

Beans Greens and Ham Stew (Crockpot Recipe)

This recipe was inspired by a sale where I found spiral hams on sale for $5.00 each.  I bought two, divided them out and froze the portions - thereby leaving me scratching my head in front of the open freezer door (Do you think I'm trying to cool the inside of the house with that?) wondering what the hell I'm going to do with 15 packages of frozen ham.  Further inspiration came from that overbuying at the produce stand incident and overfilling vegetable crisper drawers that really really needed to be used up.  Today. Aaaaaand a container of cooked white beans that decided they didn't want to be made into white bean dip after all...

Have I mentioned I LOVE my crockpot?  Crockpots are every lazy cooks dream..

Ingredients - your mileage may vary.  Use what you have on hand.

1 onion - diced
1 big honking glop of chopped garlic
1 rib celery - diced
1 handful* of baby carrots - chopped
1 handful* of baby spinach - chopped
1 handful* diced ham
1 baby red potato - diced
2 handfuls*cooked white beans (or 2 cans if you're into the whole canned bean thing.  I'm not)
Crushed pepper (which I couldn't find so I used ground pepper from the Indian store which is much hotter)
Water to cover.

Slice, dice, chop and mix everything in the crockpot, turning it on low.  Walk away and go do something fun and some time by late afternoon season the stew to taste and eat.  Enjoy.  Pack the leftovers in your lunch for tomorrow.

*By my reckoning a handful is equals about a cup.  Wash your hands before measuring.  Please.




No comments:

Post a Comment