Sunday, January 26, 2014

Mom's Cole Slaw

My third favorite kitchen gadget is my food processor - mostly because it makes life easier but also because it was a gift and I didn't have to pay for it. The vegetables could be shredded with a box grater if you like bigger pieces of vegetables but I don't because, hello, carpal tunnel.  You could also buy pre-shredded coleslaw mix if you're feeling really lazy.

The two ingredients that I think make this recipe special are fresh cilantro and rice vinegar.  Your mileage may vary.

Cabbage
Onion (I like to use red onion for this dish but use whatever you've got on hand)
Carrots
Mayonnaise
Rice Vinegar
Fresh Cilantro
Sugar
Salt (if needed - I try not to add salt to our food)

Process, chop, slice, and dice the cabbage, carrot, onion, and cilantro.  A little onion goes a long way!

Place the mixture in a bowl.  Add a nice sized glop of mayonnaise.  I like to use the olive oil kind so I can fool myself that it makes this dish a little healthier.  Add about a capful of rice vinegar and a teaspoon of sugar.  Mix. Chill. Serve.






No comments:

Post a Comment