Sunday, January 26, 2014

Mom's Salsa

Back in the day when I was a broke single mom I worked a second job and on Thursday nights I did food prep for the weekends (as opposed to the weekends when I tended bar and made real money, but I digress) and this recipe is loosely based on the Park Cinema and Drafthouse salsa, but with better ingredients.

They used huge #10 cans of crushed tomatoes.  I prefer to use diced tomatoes that I mash a couple times with a stick blender because it comes out less soupy that way.

3 cans of diced tomatoes
1 can of rotel
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
Salt
Cumin
1 cap of vinegar (white or apple cider - whichever I grab first) You could also use lime or lemon juice)

Pour off most of the tomato liquid and place in a large bowl.  Smash two or three times with the stick blender.  The ultimate goal here is smaller than diced but not pureed.  Pour in a can of Rotel tomatoes and chilies.  Add the onions, green pepper, and cilantro.  Add one shake of cumin.  Go easy, as cumin overpowers.  You can always add more later.  Add a few shakes of salt.  Stir. Chill. Serve.

This keeps in the refrigerator for about a week.  DO.NOT.FREEZE.

No comments:

Post a Comment